How To Prevent Kidney Stones
Now that you know what it feels like, the question now is how to prevent kidney stones from forming in the future.
The key to prevent larger stones from forming, is to keep the
kidneys hydrated. This may sound like a simple solution, but as my
Urologist told me after I was hospitalized for a kidney stone episode,
"I've got three recommendations for you:
1. drink more water
2. drink more water
3. drink more water!"
If you are like me, drinking large amounts of water isn't that appealing. I like to have some flavor in my beverages. Do other beverages count? What about coffee? What about kidney stones and tea? And don't forget soft drinks.
Here is where you can drive yourself crazy. There have been lots of studies concerning beverages and the proper
diet for kidney stones.
Beware if you suffer from kidney stones and tea is your beverage of
choice. Experts recommend staying away from hot and cold teas, as they
have been shown to increase the formation of stones in patients.
The results concerning coffee are inconclusive, but lean in favor
of coffee as being o.k. The added fluid intake is offset by the
For those of you who love your soft drinks, you will have to find
out for yourself and determine if it is worth the risk. I know some
experts warn against them but personally, from what I have read, the
acid in the soda may have a positive affect on dissolving kidney stones
inside the kidneys. I have tried to limit my soft drink intake and
absolutely stay clear of aspartame found in diet soda drinks.
I have found from first hand experience that cranberry juice
in moderate amounts and especially after I have suffered an attack, is
helpful in preventing kidney stones and provides many positive affects
including the passing of the stone and curing any
that may occur, after all is said and done.
A word of caution: there are some studies that show that
cranberry juice may increase the likelihood of stone formation in some
individuals. Having had wonderful experiences with cranberry juice in
the past, I will continue to use it as part of my kidney stone routine
of "how to avoid kidney stones in the future".
The medical community professionals have been using potassium citrate to effectively treat existing kidney stones and the development of new stones. Magnesium citrate
is also an option. I personally take potassium citrate. And if you know
someone who has a dog or cat that suffers from kidney stones, you can
get potassium citrate with cranberry!
Lemonade therapy is also recommended by urologists to increase citrate levels in the urine to prevent kidney stone formation.
When someone asks me how to prevent kidney stones, I respond
with: drink more water, add lemonade to your regime and take a
potassium citrate supplement.
Physicians also have a few kidney stone medications at their disposal that have proven very effective in preventing kidney stones and relieving associated pain.
Cranberry Juice and Kidney Stones
Other Kidney Stone Beverages
Return to Kidney Stone 911 Home Page from How to Prevent Kidney Stones
Kidney Stone Medication
Chronic Kidney Stones
My recommended water filter
Kidney Aid Herbal Supplement
"Be Yourself"-Launch Your Inner Entrepreneur
Your Kidney Stone Story
A Kidney Stone Forum
Have a kidney stone horror story?
What is your best kidney stone pain reliever?
What is your favorite kidney stone herbal remedy?
How big was the stone?
What changes have you made in your lifestyle and/or diet?
What advice would you give to other kidney stone sufferers?
Share you kidney stone product recommendations.
The best entry will be selected monthly and included in the KS911 Newsletter.
- Kidney Stone Pain
- You need kidney stone pain relief and need it fast! Here are some immediate pain killers to take the edge off while you figure out what to do next.
- Kidney Stone Symptoms
- What are some kidney stone symptoms?
- Kidney Stone Causes
- What are some kidney stone causes? Diet for kidney stones.
- How To Prevent Kidney Stones
- If you have recently suffered from a kidney stone attack you are probably wondering how to prevent kidney stones from developing in the future.
- Kidney Stone Treatments
- Various kidney stone treatments from extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy to laser surgery.
- Types of Kidney Stones
- Kidney stone hall of fame. Different types of kidney stones.
- Kidney Stones Pictures
- A small collection of the most common kidney stones pictures
- Share Your Kidney Stone Story
- Looking for a place to share your kidney stone story? This is it. Read what other's have said and learn from their experience. Recipes, images, remedies, etc.
- Passing a Kidney Stone
- How do you control the pain when passing a kidney stone? Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and lots of water.
- Symptoms of Dehydration
- One of the surest symptoms of dehydration is the presence of kidney stones.
- Diet for Kidney Stones
- The best diet for kidney stones considers: oxalate, animal protein, sodium, fruits and vegetables.
- Kidney Stone Surgery
- When the stones are too large to pass on their own and other options have been tried, you may have to have kidney stone surgery to remove the dreaded stone(s).
- Kidney Anatomy
- Picture of kidney anatomy and urinary tract.
- The Kidney Stone 911 eBook!
- Kidney Stone 911 eBook your no fluff, no bull, no non-sense kidney stone treatment and prevention. A reliable and concise, “all-in-one place” resource that can be read off-line.
- Kidney Stone Pictures
- A small collection of the most common kidney stone pictures.
- Kidney Stone Book Reviews
- KS911 kidney stone book reviews-paperbacks, ebooks, kindle books, etc.
- Kidney Stone Videos
- A collection of medical kidney stone videos as well as some humourous ones.
- Kidney Stone Shop
- The Kidney Stone Shop: supplements, herbal remedies, books, natural cures.
- Here's the latest!
- A place for kidney stone sufferers to share their experiences, episodes and photos.
- Kidney Stone Removal Report by Joe Barton
- A review of Joe Barton's Kidney Stone Removal Report.
- Potassium Citrate and Kidney Stones
- Potassium Citrate and Kidney Stones: Potassium citrate has proven most effective in preventing and reducing existing kidney stones.
- Kidney Stone 911
- Contact Kidney Stone 911
- Medical Disclaimer
- Medical Disclaimer for Kidney Stone 911
- My Story
- My story has two themes: discontent and pain. Passing a kidney stone: a personal journey.
- Kidney Stone Glossary
- A comprehensive kidney stone glossary. Common kidney stone terms.