Kidney Stone Medication
Kidney stone medications are necessary when you have tried other
natural kidney stone treatments
and seen little success. If you have changed your
and increased your water intake and are still forming kidney stones,
your physician may prescribe medication. Some medications such as
calcium channel blockers are designed to help pass the stones.
Other kidney stone medications are effective in dissolving kidney
stones and preventing the formation of new kidney stones. About 80-85%
of stones are of the
variety. In that case your physician may prescribe a thiazide, a
diuretic that enhances calcium absorption, along with potassium citrate.
as well as
has proven effective in preventing and dissolving kidney stones by increasing citrate levels in the urine.
As far as uric stones go, your physician may administer potassium
citrate along with sodium bicarbonate to raise the alkaline level of
may also be used to prevent the body from making too much uric acid.
Less than 1% of all kidney stones are of the cystine variety.
Penicillamine, tiopronin, and captopril may be prescribed which helps
reduce the likelihood of cystine stone development.
If your kidney stones are cystine or uric stones, you may be looking at a lifelong program of these medications.
As you can see potassium citrate and magnesium citrate are the heavy lifters in dissolving kidney stones and the
prevention of kidney stones.
As far as dealing with the
kidney stone pain
,non steroidal anti-inflammatories or NSAID's are the preferred over-the-counter pain-killers.
Thiazides are diuretics that are used to treat hypertension and
are also helpful in preventing kidney stones. Thiazides lower urinary
calcium, which is crucial in preventing calcium based stones.
There is a category of drugs called alpha-adrenoceptor
antagonists or "alpha blockers" that have proven effective in treating
kidney stones. The most popular drug is
Hopefully, these medications will do the trick; if not you may be looking at
kidney stone surgery.
Cranberry Juice and Kidney Stones
Diet for Kidney Stones
Herbal Remedies for Kidney Stones
How to Avoid Kidney Stones
Kidney Stone Information
Kidney Stone Symptoms
Kidney Stone Treatments
Leave Kidney Stone Medications and Return to Kidney Stone 911 Homepage
Flomax for Kidney Stones
How much water should I drink
My recommended water filter
Kidney Aid Herbal Supplement
Your Kidney Stone Story
A Kidney Stone Forum
Have a kidney stone horror story?
What is your best kidney stone pain reliever?
What is your favorite kidney stone herbal remedy?
How big was the stone?
What changes have you made in your lifestyle and/or diet?
What advice would you give to other kidney stone sufferers?
Share you kidney stone product recommendations.
The best entry will be selected monthly and included in the KS911 Newsletter.
- Kidney Stone Pain
- You need kidney stone pain relief and need it fast! Here are some immediate pain killers to take the edge off while you figure out what to do next.
- Kidney Stone Symptoms
- What are some kidney stone symptoms?
- Kidney Stone Causes
- What are some kidney stone causes? Diet for kidney stones.
- How To Prevent Kidney Stones
- If you have recently suffered from a kidney stone attack you are probably wondering how to prevent kidney stones from developing in the future.
- Kidney Stone Treatments
- Various kidney stone treatments from extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy to laser surgery.
- Types of Kidney Stones
- Kidney stone hall of fame. Different types of kidney stones.
- Kidney Stones Pictures
- A small collection of the most common kidney stones pictures
- Share Your Kidney Stone Story
- Looking for a place to share your kidney stone story? This is it. Read what other's have said and learn from their experience. Recipes, images, remedies, etc.
- Passing a Kidney Stone
- How do you control the pain when passing a kidney stone? Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and lots of water.
- Symptoms of Dehydration
- One of the surest symptoms of dehydration is the presence of kidney stones.
- Diet for Kidney Stones
- The best diet for kidney stones considers: oxalate, animal protein, sodium, fruits and vegetables.
- Kidney Stone Surgery
- When the stones are too large to pass on their own and other options have been tried, you may have to have kidney stone surgery to remove the dreaded stone(s).
- Kidney Anatomy
- Picture of kidney anatomy and urinary tract.
- The Kidney Stone 911 eBook!
- Kidney Stone 911 eBook your no fluff, no bull, no non-sense kidney stone treatment and prevention. A reliable and concise, “all-in-one place” resource that can be read off-line.
- Kidney Stone Pictures
- A small collection of the most common kidney stone pictures.
- Kidney Stone Book Reviews
- KS911 kidney stone book reviews-paperbacks, ebooks, kindle books, etc.
- Kidney Stone Videos
- A collection of medical kidney stone videos as well as some humourous ones.
- Kidney Stone Shop
- The Kidney Stone Shop: supplements, herbal remedies, books, natural cures.
- Here's the latest!
- A place for kidney stone sufferers to share their experiences, episodes and photos.
- Kidney Stone Removal Report by Joe Barton
- A review of Joe Barton's Kidney Stone Removal Report.
- Potassium Citrate and Kidney Stones
- Potassium Citrate and Kidney Stones: Potassium citrate has proven most effective in preventing and reducing existing kidney stones.
- Kidney Stone 911
- Contact Kidney Stone 911
- Medical Disclaimer
- Medical Disclaimer for Kidney Stone 911
- My Story
- My story has two themes: discontent and pain. Passing a kidney stone: a personal journey.
- Kidney Stone Glossary
- A comprehensive kidney stone glossary. Common kidney stone terms.