Magnesium Citrate and Kidney Stones
Some Doctors recommend a daily dose of 500 mg. of magnesium citrate
to help prevent kidney stone formation and even reduce existing kidney
stone size, while other physicians recommend potassium citrate for their
The aim is to increase urinary citrate. Citrate binds with
urinary calcium and thereby prevents the formation of calcium stones,
the most prevalent of which are calcium oxalate stones. It also makes
the urine less acidic which reduces the likelihood of calcium oxalate
stones as well as uric acid stones.
In some cases magnesium is combined with potassium and citrate to
treat kidney stones. Studies have shown a significant reduction in
stone formation of those who have taken a magnesium citrate/potassium
citrate combination as compared to a placebo.
deficiency can lead to all sorts of other health maladies including:
anxiety, asthma, blood clots, constipation, cystitis, heart disease and
diabetes, just to name a few. Magnesium is required to process calcium
The Magnesium Miracle
An excellent resource on magnesium and its benefits is "The
Magnesium Miracle" by Carolyn Dean. Readers have given the book 4.5
stars on Amazon for being well written and documented. Here is just a
sample of a favorable review:
In "The Magnesium Miracle," author Dean makes her case for the
importance of magnesium. It is her hope that we increase our magnesium
intake, improve our health, and share our newly-found knowledge about
this mineral with others, including our physicians.
The public and the medical establishment are unaware of the
importance of magnesium to health....Dean lists many of the conditions
resulting from a magnesium deficiency which includes, but is not limited
to: anxiety and depression, migraines and pain, strokes, heart disease,
obesity, PMS, infertility, osteoporosis and kidney stones. Dean's book
is an eye-opener for physicians and lay people on the enormous benefits
Another way to increase citrate levels in the urine is to drink fluids high in citrate. Here are some good
kidney stone beverages.
Return from Magnesium Citrate to Kidney Stone 911 Homepage
Dissolving Kidney Stones
Prevention of Kidney Stones
Natural Cures for Kidney Stones
Kidney Stone Causes
Preventing Kidney Stones
How much water should I drink
Kidney Aid Herbal Supplement
Kidney Stone Diet Secrets
Kidney Stone Removal Report
Your Kidney Stone Story
A Kidney Stone Forum
Have a kidney stone horror story?
What is your best kidney stone pain reliever?
What is your favorite kidney stone herbal remedy?
How big was the stone?
What changes have you made in your lifestyle and/or diet?
What advice would you give to other kidney stone sufferers?
Share you kidney stone product recommendations.
The best entry will be selected monthly and included in the KS911 Newsletter.
- Kidney Stone Pain
- You need kidney stone pain relief and need it fast! Here are some immediate pain killers to take the edge off while you figure out what to do next.
- Kidney Stone Symptoms
- What are some kidney stone symptoms?
- Kidney Stone Causes
- What are some kidney stone causes? Diet for kidney stones.
- How To Prevent Kidney Stones
- If you have recently suffered from a kidney stone attack you are probably wondering how to prevent kidney stones from developing in the future.
- Kidney Stone Treatments
- Various kidney stone treatments from extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy to laser surgery.
- Types of Kidney Stones
- Kidney stone hall of fame. Different types of kidney stones.
- Kidney Stones Pictures
- A small collection of the most common kidney stones pictures
- Share Your Kidney Stone Story
- Looking for a place to share your kidney stone story? This is it. Read what other's have said and learn from their experience. Recipes, images, remedies, etc.
- Passing a Kidney Stone
- How do you control the pain when passing a kidney stone? Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and lots of water.
- Symptoms of Dehydration
- One of the surest symptoms of dehydration is the presence of kidney stones.
- Diet for Kidney Stones
- The best diet for kidney stones considers: oxalate, animal protein, sodium, fruits and vegetables.
- Kidney Stone Surgery
- When the stones are too large to pass on their own and other options have been tried, you may have to have kidney stone surgery to remove the dreaded stone(s).
- Kidney Anatomy
- Picture of kidney anatomy and urinary tract.
- The Kidney Stone 911 eBook!
- Kidney Stone 911 eBook your no fluff, no bull, no non-sense kidney stone treatment and prevention. A reliable and concise, “all-in-one place” resource that can be read off-line.
- Kidney Stone Pictures
- A small collection of the most common kidney stone pictures.
- Kidney Stone Book Reviews
- KS911 kidney stone book reviews-paperbacks, ebooks, kindle books, etc.
- Kidney Stone Videos
- A collection of medical kidney stone videos as well as some humourous ones.
- Kidney Stone Shop
- The Kidney Stone Shop: supplements, herbal remedies, books, natural cures.
- Here's the latest!
- A place for kidney stone sufferers to share their experiences, episodes and photos.
- Kidney Stone Removal Report by Joe Barton
- A review of Joe Barton's Kidney Stone Removal Report.
- Potassium Citrate and Kidney Stones
- Potassium Citrate and Kidney Stones: Potassium citrate has proven most effective in preventing and reducing existing kidney stones.
- Kidney Stone 911
- Contact Kidney Stone 911
- Medical Disclaimer
- Medical Disclaimer for Kidney Stone 911
- My Story
- My story has two themes: discontent and pain. Passing a kidney stone: a personal journey.
- Kidney Stone Glossary
- A comprehensive kidney stone glossary. Common kidney stone terms.