Passing a Kidney Stone
Cartoon by Graham MacLennan
Let me just say this up front. Passing a kidney stone will
probably be the most painful experience of your entire life! If you are
in the middle of this horror right now, visit
kidney stone pain.
If you are not sure you are passing a kidney stone, you may think you
are dying or that someone has poisoned you and you are to be left for
dead writhing on the floor moaning, "mama".
During my first kidney stone episode I thought that I had
contracted some dread disease and would be dead before nightfall. I
crawled to the bathroom and removed all of my clothes and proceeded to
wretch the remainder of what I had eaten prior that day.
"What would my wife and kids do after I had passed into the next
world?" These are the sort of thoughts that went through my head as the
drama ensued. It was not fun. Passing a kidney stone would be the
death of me!
My wife got on the phone to my sister who had experienced passing
a kidney stone and my condition sounded hauntingly familiar. She
recommended that I start to force liquids to help with the passing of
the kidney stone.
The most obvious indicator was the excruciating
lower back pain.
As I rolled around the bathroom floor alternately puking and guzzling
water from a Gatorade bottle, the pain slowly moved around my side as
the passing kidney stone was making its way down the
The pain was unbearable! I almost passed out.
I also did not want anyone in the room with me or even talking
to me through the bathroom door. This was taking my full
concentration. I tell people it's like the universe has shrunk to the
size of a pin-head. The pain is on the pin-head and it has your full
Our properly functioning ureters do not get the recognition they
deserve. Day after day they perform their function without our notice.
They could have asked for anything and I would have complied.
After a few hours of this pitiful drama, the passing kidney stone
moved into the bladder and the hysterics were over, juts like that. As
quickly as the pain had ensued, it was gone. Only perspiration and a
worn psyche were all that remained.
The mysteries that were kidney stones would soon command my full attention. What were they? How did I get them?
What do I need to do to NEVER get them again?
Obviously, the massive amounts of water I consumed were helpful in flushing the kidney stone out of my
What else could I have done to expedite the process? I've read much about the subject and have come across some interesting
kidney stone removal procedures
Short of going to the hospital and having some sort of surgery,
the options were anecdotal at best. Such things as drinking some
concoction of asparagus and olive oil and the "kidney stone bump
technique" were widely available on the internet. What was I to
believe? How much money was I willing to fork over for a solution?
Believe me, after this ordeal I was willing to try anything!
I will say, after having suffered from multiple kidney stone
episodes and having talked with my urologist that maintaining a healthy
daily intake of
and fluids is essential in keeping the stones from forming again. I've
also had some interesting experiences with passing kidney stones and
Once the kidney stone has passed into the bladder and the pain
has subsided, I highly recommend that you try to catch that bugger! Get
a strainer, stick your hand in the toilet, or do whatever it takes to
get that sucker back.
For one thing, it is very satisfying to hold the object of your
wrath between your fingers and curse it. Secondly, it will be helpful
in determining the cause of your problem. Take the stone to your
urologist or a
where it can be tested. They will determine what
type of kidney stone
it is. The vast majority of kidney stones are of the
calcium oxalate variety.
If you are having trouble passing a kidney stone on your own, go to the
hospital or emergency room. It's not ideal, but you may have a more
serious problem and it is worth having the experts working on you.
They will assist you in developing a proper regime for dealing with your new found condition, possibly including a new
My recommended water filter
"Be Yourself"-Launch Your Inner Entrepreneur
Your Kidney Stone Story
A Kidney Stone Forum
Have a kidney stone horror story?
What is your best kidney stone pain reliever?
What is your favorite kidney stone herbal remedy?
How big was the stone?
What changes have you made in your lifestyle and/or diet?
What advice would you give to other kidney stone sufferers?
Share you kidney stone product recommendations.
The best entry will be selected monthly and included in the KS911 Newsletter.
What Other KS911 Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Attack of the Kidney Stones! Not rated yet
I've a long history with uric acid stones, starting about nine years ago with the first one that startled me awake in the middle of the night. I apparently …
THE KID NAMED STONE Not rated yet
Today, I woke up with excruciating lower back pain, mostly on the left side. I started saying to myself "this is some pretty intense back pain for the …
Sorry the ultra-sound machine broke Not rated yet
I went into the ER on Wednesday. Waiting patiently in pain for the Friday to come with hydrocondone pills at hand. Waiting in the pre-op for the next …
This will be the death of me Not rated yet
Jan, 2012. I just passed my 4th stone in my 2nd episode of stones. Unfortunately I have the habit of forming several at once.
This time was bad. I …
Ongoing Saga... Not rated yet
I am still in the phase of determining whether it is a Kidney Stone or not, my doctor thinks I did pass one when I ended up in hospital.
Morphine in …
My Kidney Stone of August 14, 2009! Not rated yet
I woke up at 11:30 PM on Friday August 14, 2009 with a wrenching pain in my right testicle that made it feel like it was going to pop. My wife was in the …
Click here to write your own.
Leave Passing a Kidney Stone and Return to KS911 Homepage
- Kidney Stone Pain
- You need kidney stone pain relief and need it fast! Here are some immediate pain killers to take the edge off while you figure out what to do next.
- Kidney Stone Symptoms
- What are some kidney stone symptoms?
- Kidney Stone Causes
- What are some kidney stone causes? Diet for kidney stones.
- How To Prevent Kidney Stones
- If you have recently suffered from a kidney stone attack you are probably wondering how to prevent kidney stones from developing in the future.
- Kidney Stone Treatments
- Various kidney stone treatments from extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy to laser surgery.
- Types of Kidney Stones
- Kidney stone hall of fame. Different types of kidney stones.
- Kidney Stones Pictures
- A small collection of the most common kidney stones pictures
- Share Your Kidney Stone Story
- Looking for a place to share your kidney stone story? This is it. Read what other's have said and learn from their experience. Recipes, images, remedies, etc.
- Passing a Kidney Stone
- How do you control the pain when passing a kidney stone? Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and lots of water.
- Symptoms of Dehydration
- One of the surest symptoms of dehydration is the presence of kidney stones.
- Diet for Kidney Stones
- The best diet for kidney stones considers: oxalate, animal protein, sodium, fruits and vegetables.
- Kidney Stone Surgery
- When the stones are too large to pass on their own and other options have been tried, you may have to have kidney stone surgery to remove the dreaded stone(s).
- Kidney Anatomy
- Picture of kidney anatomy and urinary tract.
- The Kidney Stone 911 eBook!
- Kidney Stone 911 eBook your no fluff, no bull, no non-sense kidney stone treatment and prevention. A reliable and concise, “all-in-one place” resource that can be read off-line.
- Kidney Stone Pictures
- A small collection of the most common kidney stone pictures.
- Kidney Stone Book Reviews
- KS911 kidney stone book reviews-paperbacks, ebooks, kindle books, etc.
- Kidney Stone Videos
- A collection of medical kidney stone videos as well as some humourous ones.
- Kidney Stone Shop
- The Kidney Stone Shop: supplements, herbal remedies, books, natural cures.
- Here's the latest!
- A place for kidney stone sufferers to share their experiences, episodes and photos.
- Kidney Stone Removal Report by Joe Barton
- A review of Joe Barton's Kidney Stone Removal Report.
- Potassium Citrate and Kidney Stones
- Potassium Citrate and Kidney Stones: Potassium citrate has proven most effective in preventing and reducing existing kidney stones.
- Kidney Stone 911
- Contact Kidney Stone 911
- Medical Disclaimer
- Medical Disclaimer for Kidney Stone 911
- My Story
- My story has two themes: discontent and pain. Passing a kidney stone: a personal journey.
- Kidney Stone Glossary
- A comprehensive kidney stone glossary. Common kidney stone terms.